Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My most anticipated books for the second half of 2014

I love marking the mid-year point by reflecting on my fave reads so far (I'll be posting them soon) and also by getting myself all pumped up for the brilliant books that are yet to come. I love having something to look forward too -- book anticipation is it's own kind of special buzz. I am sadly a little out of the loop this year with best-ofs and must-reads and buzz books. I don't even entirely know what is coming up -- but I have 12 books here that I'm truly looking forward to with increasing anticipation.

(all links go to goodreads)

Number one most (insanely) excited about

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

So thrilled (more than you can imagine) that Liane Moriarty has another book coming out this year. She is amazing. I love her.








Five imported contemporary YA titles I'm hanging out for

It's been a slow year with me and contemporary YA. I have not fallen in love with one yet -- or even seem to have been able to find enticing titles to get my hands on. However, I have a really good feeling about these five:

Just Call My Name by Holly Goldberg Sloan

The sequel to I'll be There. It's nearly here. I am stoked.








The Bridge From me To You by Lisa Schroeder

I love Lisa Schroeder. I have loved all her books thus far, we are just perfectly suited - her books and I. The premise of this sounds emotional and swoony and all round exactly like a Lisa Schroeder book.








On The Fence by Kasie West

Love Kasie West. She's swoony and fun and writes those up-all-night kinda books where you don't want to put it down because you're hoping and grinning too much. Love the cheery yellow title, too. This looks so happy-making.







I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

I am *hoping* that I'll love this. I think it is going to be amazing...









Isla and The Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins

Anna was so fun. I didn't connect the same way with Lola but that doesn't stop me from being excited for this. Also: I read the first 65 pages online -- it was good ;) Really good.







Six Aussie YA titles that have me thinking 2014 is shaping up to be an amazing year in books

The Protected by Claire Zorn

Loved Claire Zorn's debut, so much, and am really looking forward to what she has next. (Honestly -- I am thrilled there is a next so soon! Awesome surprise)








Cooper Bartholomew is Dead by Rebecca James

Loved Rebecca James' most recent release, Sweet Damage, it was an up-all-night, evocatively written psychological thriller. I'm really looking forward to another twisty and suspenseful reading experience <3








Intruder by Christine Bongers

Early reviews have me excited. The premise sounds awesome -- this looks like just my thing.








The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl

From the super talented author of Life in outer Space -- Keil releases her second YA novel. I'm hanging out for more smiles and fun and something heartfelt and a little bit different. Also, the cover is amazing.






Head of the River by Pip Harry

I really loved Pip's debut (I'll Tell You Mine). It was absorbing, fresh and authentic -- with a plot that made it increasingly harder to put down. Looking forward to meeting more of her characters -- and this premise sounds unique and genuine.






Spark by Rachel Craw

Craw is an NZ author and this looks a tiny out of my comfort zone (with the sci-fi elements and such) but it has me intrigued and I love shaking things up a little in my reading -- definitely going to be hunting this one down








Two bonus titles:

Goodreads has these slated as 2014 releases -- but I'm not so sure? Looks like they may be 2015 titles as there's suspiciously little evidence so far... Whenever they come, I am so there:

The Howling Boy by Cath Crowley CATH. CROWLEY.

Unplugged by Donna Freitas Loved The Survival Kit (and also This Gorgeous Game). This is a genre switch, but I'm game -- Freitas has only ever impressed me so far <3

Are you excited for any of these? 
What are you looking forward to that i don't have on my radar yet?

8 comments:

  1. I'll Give You the Sun and Isla are hiiiiigh up on my list of books I'm eagerly anticipating. The Howling Boy seems like it'll never release, what with the release date being pushed back and no true cover or synopsis coming to light, but I'm dying to get my hands on it after Graffiti Moon.

    Other titles I'm looking forward to from the latter-half of this year are Rainbow Rowell's Landline, Stiefvater's third book in the Raven Boys Cycle, the next Kate Daniel's novel, and Mortal Heart. Wonderful list, Nomes!(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will so be looking to you for what you think of jandy's book (you will prob get to it before me, haha)

      I wish I loved Rainbow Rowell but I have not been able to finish one of her books yet (not sure why -- I just seem to lose interest).

      I've been waiting to read the Raven Boys series for once the whole series it out. fingers crossed I love it!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I also really enjoyed ANNA but didn't like LOLA as much, mostly because I didn't relate to Lola herself nearly as well as I did to Anna. Fingers crossed that Isla is a relatable, likeable narrator!

    On the Fence seems to be getting lots of good reviews. I haven't read any Kasie West yet, but I do have Pivot Point so I need to rectify that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for another person who has similar vibes with the Perkins books -- I think we will both like Isla ~ fingers crossed.

      Kasie West is great! She is definitely a relaxing comfort read -- a bit like what Elizabeth Scott is to me.

      Delete
  3. I really want to read On the Fence, I'll Give You the Sun and Isla and the Happily Ever After too! I'm curious about Pip Harry's books as well. Looking forward to seeing what have been your fave reads in 2014 so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know your fave reads Chachic (I need to catch up on my blog reading!)

      I am really hoping Jandy's book will work for me. I remember being so amazed the first time I read The Sky is Everywhere.

      Pip Harry is great -- I wish she was available internationally!

      Delete
  4. I'm super excited about Cinnamon Girl, Isla, I'll Give You The Sun and The Protected as I loved all their previous books. I really enjoyed Spark even though it's not really my thing.

    I didn't know about the new Rebecca James so thanks for putting it on your list :) I've also been thinking about reading Pip Harry's debut so now that it comes so highly recommended by you I will definitely give it a go.

    I'm really hanging out for the new Cath Crowley too. I just wish they would give us a date! I've been a bit out of the loop this year too so I look forward to seeing what your fave reads so far have been xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My library just got Spark so now I can give it go! (with no pressure to love if it's not my thing).

      that new Cath Crowley seems like a legend or myth, haha. I know I will love it when it comes so I don't mind the wait x

      Delete

Thanks for the commenty love :)