Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E Smith

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A. 
Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is a story that takes place entirely over a 24 hour period. Hadley is flying to London to attend her fathers wedding and misses her original flight by 4 minutes ~ which means she meets cute British boy, Oliver, instead (and spends the red-eye with him). 

Despite the cover and title of the book, the main tension driving the story is not the (fall in love in one day) love story, but the story of Hadley and her father, presented through flashbacks and Hadley's constant glowering about it, and her difficulty in forgiving him and letting him move on after he had an affair, leaving her and her mother behind. 

The love story was cute enough, although I found Hadley and Oliver's interactions rather bland ~ sweet dialogue with no real tension or mystery. Oliver has all the right things a male lead needs to be swoony, yet I thought there was a lack of chemistry and everything was so predictable (cliche, even). 

The adult characters were, to me, either unlikeable or just plain one dimensional (making it hard for me to connect or even care). The resolution was too tidy, the family conflict built up and then nearly disregarded in favour or giving readers a happy (unrealistic, easy) ending. 

I think this is a case of this book just not being my thing: too cute, too shallow, too convenient ~ my preference is for more a story that has an emotional undercurrent with a lingering vibe. However, it is light and fluffy and entertaining enough and would probably make a cute transition to the big screen (it does read rather like watching a movie). 

It was a bit disappointing seeing all the hype around this one had me convinced I would love it. It is a short 200 page breeze of a read which could appeal to readers of younger contemporary YA looking for something light and easy. 

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight: @ goodreads

16 comments:

  1. I had a little browse through this one today when I was in a bookshop (very special time now I no longer work in one every day, sniff) and was turned off by the size and style of the font: large and unsophisticated.

    Should I judge a book like this? I don't know. P'raps will borrow it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing mixed reviews of this both on Goodreads and in the blogosphere. I was initially excited to read this because of all the hype but now not so much. I still want to read it but not in a hurry to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't love it but thanks for your warning about the adult characters. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm sorry you were disappointed. I've been really desperate to read this as it sounds like my kind of book. My copy should arrive any day now so I'll be interested to see what I think as we usually like alot of the same stuff. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - I think I ended up being a bit more favorable in my review, but I was pretty underwhelmed by it after all the build up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww! that sucks as this was way at the top of my wish list. Now it has been bumped down.

    *sigh*

    I can deal with too cute but it doesn't sound like the title matches the book and I'm sick and tired of crappy grown ups in YA.

    Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had pretty similar feelings on this one, Nomes. I posted my review a few days back if you want to check it. Lots of people I know LOVED this book, but it all fell a little flat for me.

    Also, the dad just bugged me to hell!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. People seem to either love this or hate it, so it's nice to read your balanced perspective. Great review as always, Nomes! And welcome back, we've missed you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a light and fluffy girl myself, so I get it. Eeeee, maybe I'll suggest to some friends who want beach reads?

    Nice to see you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, no!
    I was (still am) realyl excited to read this book--I ordered it on Tuesday.
    I'm really sorry it didn't deliver the magic... I was really hoping for something to fill the Anna and the French Kiss shaped hole in my heart.
    *sigh*
    See how it goes, but it still sounds like a fun enough distraction, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, it's nice to read something just light and fluffy every now and again. I never expected anything too emotional or deep of this book, so I'll just see how it goes.

    Your honesty is always welcome though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I'm sorry. I just got a copy of the ebook. It's nice to read a less glowing review of it though. Thanks for being so articulate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. yay for a new post! And I totally agree. I thought it would be more meaningful, the romance lovely, but it was on the bland side, and the book 'just cute'. I was left disappointed. And don't even get me started on the father. Meh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dang, the cover and title make it sound like such a good read! I think I'll pass on this as I'm beginning to really dislike books that are too predictable. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. So many people were raving about it, but you've summed up how I feel perfectly. The too-happy ending especially bugged me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did enjoy this book but sorry you didn't quite like it. Awesome reivew though! I'm still glad you got the chance to read the book, Nomes! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the commenty love :)