Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hanging out for: five 2012 YA debuts



Hanging out For is a feature of inkcrush where I chat about books that have snagged my attention. This is my numero uno post of the feature ~ and today I'm featuring: 


Five 2012 Contemporary YA Debuts that I'm hanging out for...
[check out these books on goodreads by clicking on the title link]


1. Trafficked by Kim Purcell


Feb 16


Hannah believes she's being brought from Moldova to Los Angeles to become a nanny for a Russian family. But her American dream quickly spirals into a nightmare. The Platonovs force Hannah to work sixteen-hour days, won't let her leave the house, and seem to have a lot of secrets - from Hannah and from each other. Stranded in a foreign land with false documents, no money, and nobody who can help her, Hannah must find a way to save herself from her new status as a modern-day slave or risk losing the one thing she has left: her life.


Oh ~ This sounds perfectly intense and moving and I am a HUGE advocate of the A21 Campaign  and am incrediby moved and incensed at the thousands of girls who are currently being trafficked (did you know human slavery is at an ALL TIME high, right now today, with more slaves in the world than throughout any time in history *steps off soap box* ;)


Anyways, very thrilled to see this premise and cannot wait to read it.


* also recommended: the movie, Taken, with Liam Neeson (LOVED it) and the captivating Tess Gerritson novel, Vanish if sexual trafficking interests you (you know what I mean)



2. This is Not a Drill by Beck McDowell


Beck McDowell’s young adult THIS IS NOT A DRILL, told from alternating viewpoints of two teens who must protect kindergarteners from a soldier with post-traumatic stress disorder who opens fire in the classroom,for publication in Fall 2012.


This also sounds intense and dramatic and compelling...


3. Fall To Pieces by Vahini Naidoo


Seventeen-year-old Ella Logan knows that Mark and Petal are lying about the night their friend, Amy killed herself. But Ella won’t let them bury the truth along with Amy’s body – she’ll do anything to unearth what they’re so desperate to keep secret. Even if it means a fake friendship with a new boy, who reeks of gunpowder and 
treachery. Even if it means throwing herself off bridges and into the face of deadly questions. Was Amy’s death really a suicide?



Cheating with this one as I read an early draft and Vahini Naidoo writes SO gorgeously. She is one debut author to watch out for (also, wrote the first draft while still in high school - WOW). Although I read an early version, I am still pumped to see the final product.


4. Something Like Normal by Trish Doller


June 19


A powerful debut novel about a young Marine's return home from Afghanistan and the new life and love he finds while fending off the ghosts of war. 

When Travis Stephenson returns home from Afghanistan, his parents are on the brink of divorce, his brother has stolen his girlfriend and his car, and nightmares of his best friend getting killed keep him completely spooked. But when he runs into Harper Gray, a girl who despises him for trashing her reputation with a middle school lie, life actually starts looking up. As Travis and Harper see more of each other, he starts falling for her and a way through the family meltdown, the post-traumatic stress, and the possibility of an interesting future begins to emerge. 

His sense of humor, sense of his own strength, and incredible sense of honor make Travis an irresistible and eminently lovable hero in this fantastic and timely debut novel.



This one already seems to be high on people's radar. The first chapter is on Trish Doller's site (very compelling male POV) and early reviewers have confirmed this is something to genuinely be excited for. I'm thinking I'll break out the saving ans indulge in a hard cover for this one :)


5. Butter by Erin Lange


A boy everyone calls “Butter” is about to make Scottsdale High history. He’s going to eat himself to death live on the Internet – and everyone will watch. 

He announces his deadly plan to an army of peers and expects pity, insults or even indifference. Instead, he finds morbid encouragement. When that encouragement tips the scales into popularity, Butter has a reason to live. But if he doesn’t go through with his plan, he’ll lose everything.



Wow ~ this is different and the stakes sound high and I am anticipating some great emotional moments. Really excited that Butter is finally nearly here :)




What about you?
Are any of these books on your radar?


Comind up next in my 'Hanging Out For' is a bunch of Aussie YA 2012 releases (and once I started the post, I realised just how mucb Aussie goodness we are in for this year. It's going to be a fab reading year)
  

18 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with any of those reads except for Butter I've heard about that one and the premise does sound intriguing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh these all look really interesting, I love 'Taken' I made my brother and his girfriend watch it before they went to paris.
    I also really like the look of 'Something Like Normal', adding it to my goodreads wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Is Not a Drill sounds really intense - I'm interested to see how the psychology aspect is handled. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they all sounds interesting, but i really want to read Butter, it's such an incredible idea.
    thank you for the comment on my piper's son review. i was scared i hadn't done it justice, or just made no sense. i really loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohhhh... some there that were not on my radar. Thanks for this list! 'Trafficked' looks especially good - should be a confronting, powerful read.

    I agree about Trish Doller's debut - I follow her on Twitter and I'm already a little bit in love with her style.

    I am looking forward to ...

    • Suzy Zail's 'The Wrong Boy'
    • Gabrielle Williams's 'The Reluctant Hallelujah'
    • Kirsty Eagar's 'Night Beach'
    • 'Queen of the Night' by Leanne Hall
    • ‘Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone’ by Kat Rosenfield

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those five books definitely sound like intense reads. I'm especially excited about SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL.

    I'll be waiting for your reviews. ;)

    My list (influenced by my current mood):

    Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf
    Someone Else's Life by Katie Dale
    Throne of Glass (previously: Queen of Glass) by Sarah J. Maas
    Shadows Cast By Stars by Catherine Knutsson
    Harbinger by Sara Wilson Etienne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know about any of these (where have I been?!) but I've added This Is Not A Drill and Something Like Normal to my TBR.

    Thanks Nomes xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound like really interesting reads, and very diverse. :D

    I haven't really thought of debuts I'm looking forward too... I see a list coming in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to read Vee's book. Srsly feel like I've been waiting forever for it!! Love the new series. Might possibly steal it from you! O.o :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eating himself to death on the internet? o.O

    Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always have the best contemps to look forward too! I can't believe some of them. And NO I did NOT know that human trafficking is at all time high. That's just... I don't even have words for how horrible that is.

    Great picks :)

    ♥ Trish

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to see Something Like Normal in this list, Nomes! I read the excerpts posted on Trish's website (she put up chapter two for sometime but took it down) and I really can't wait to read it. I also follow Trish on Twitter and she's so nice and friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Something Like Normal sounds like a really good one! I'll have to go read the first chapter! Can't wait to see your picks for Aussie 2012 releases!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, great post Nomes! I've not heard of any of these ones!

    This is Not a Drill sounds amazing.

    Thanks for these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving the feature, and all the books sound amazing.


    I especially excited for Trafficked, I haven't seen that one before but I'm also very interested in human slavery nowadays, especially because I live in a country where it is very common. Oh and I also love the movie Taken, though sadly, it is the reason my parents won't let me travel alone overseas ):

    This is Not a Drill sounds incredible too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've loved Fall To Pieces since I read Vee's early drafts, back when it was called The Gnomes Are Watching and I'm squeamish with excitement that this is the year it will finally be out. YAY.
    Also cannot wait for Butter. And Trafficked.
    Basically, ALL the books on this list are so, so good and have been on my wishlist for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Trafficked and Fall To Pieces are two I'm keen to get my hands on this year. I thought Taken was excellent too

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the commenty love :)